- 2 large savoy cabbage rolls, enough leaves for 12 rolls and a few to line the pot and some to cover the cabbage rolls
- 300g pork mince
- 300g beef mince
- 1 egg
- 4 spring onions, green leaves only, chopped
- leaves from 2 springs thyme
- a few springs of dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 80g white rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 4 small bay leaves
- leaves from 4 thyme springs
- 500ml passata or thick tomato sauce
- black peppercorns
- 500ml cups of water or veggie stock
- optional, parmesan and pine nuts
Wash and boil rice. Set aside.
Bring a large pot filled halfway with water to a boil. Cut cabbage stem and blanch cabbage in the hot water. Do this again for the second cabbage. Drain and let cool. Remove and save larger leaves, chop the rest.
Heat oven to 180°C. Place half the chopped cabbage leaves on the bottom of a oven safe pot with lid.
Combine rice, spring onion, egg, spices and herbs, mince and tomato paste. Place 2-3 teaspoons of meat mixture on the cabbage leaves in the middle of the widest part of the cabbage leaf then tuck the sides in and roll it up. Place in pot. Do the same for the rest. Cover with the rest of the chopped cabbage leaves.
To prepare the sauce combine all ingredients and pour over the cabbage rolls, making sure there is some free space at the top. Cover and bake in the oven for 45min to an hour.
Serve hot with some grated parmesan and pine nuts.